Service Learning Project
Report Due December 3rd at 11:55pm
(50-points or 75-points)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Service Learning Project scope will be adjusted. If you are willing, able, and can safely (for yourself and others) complete the full Service Learning Project you may for a max of 75 points. If you would rather not volunteer, you may complete the Service Learning Project except for the highlighted portions for a maximum of 50 points. Note, this is not a penalty; your final grade will be adjusted accordingly. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
- Select an agency that provides Food and Nutritional Care as a part of its services.
- OBTAIN APPROVAL for your agency and volunteer work from instructor.
- Sign up on Canvas to receive instructor approval by Friday, June 26th @ 11:59 pm) with the following information:
- What agency you would like to work with.
- The name and contact information of the individual who is helping you coordinate your experience. (phone#, address, and e-mail)
- Title and position of the individual who you are working with.
- Proposed volunteer work that you will be completing. MUST be related to food and/or nutrition of the people they are serving.
3. Complete your volunteer work- Minimum of 5-hours of actual hands on work or services provided. The 5-hours DOES NOT include the time you spend coordinating the project.
4. Interview the person who is responsible for the delivery of the nutrition services or education program. (Interview time is NOT included with the 5-hrs of service).
- Interview can be in person, phone, or virtual interviews.
- Obtain a business card or professional identification (e.g. from company website) from the individual who you are interviewing with AND who is supervising your work
- What is the role of this person? Are they FT, PT, consultant, or volunteer?
- Be creative with your interview questions. Examples: What do they like most about their position? What is the most challenging aspect to their work? Is the community supportive of the organizations presence and services
5. Submit a 3 page report containing the following information.
- What is the population they serve? What is the clientele and services they provide?
- Be as specific as possible when describing the population with statistics, demographics, etc.
- What is the Vision and Mission Statement of the organization you are volunteering for?
- Do they have any specific goal, objectives, or measurable outcomes they monitor?
- Who coordinates the food and nutritional services or programs provided? Are they a Registered Dietitian, or something else? What is their background? (Ex: Nurse, Home Economist, Social Worker, etc.)
- Summarize your interview with the individual.
- Summarize your volunteer experience.
- What services you provided? Be specific.
- Summarize your reflections on the experience:
- What were your impressions of the agency? Do you think the agency is accomplishing their mission and achieve their goals?
- What do you think the strengths and weaknesses are for the agency?
- Do you think your volunteer time was of value to the agency?
- What did you enjoy most about your volunteer time?
- Was there anything that surprised you about your volunteer experience, what? Or, was it what you expected, and why?
- What else did you learn?
- Paper must be double spaced, standard margins, and standard font (11-12 point Arial, Times New Roman, or Calibri).
- If you want to include pictures with your paper, please include on additional pages at the end. DO NOT embed or include pictures into the body and content of your paper.
- DO NOT include a cover page, and pictures pages DO NOT count and are NOT included as a part of the 3-pages of reported content.