You are the customer service manager for a regional shipping business similar to Fedex and UPS. Unlike your larger competitors, you lack the ability to follow deliveries, trucks, and drivers while on their routes each day, because the current trucks do not have GPS tracking sensors.
In the last few months, customers have voiced several complaints. Customers complain that:
- They cannot get up-to-date information about where their packages are in the delivery process
- Deliveries are not arriving on the day promised
- Delivery drivers are arriving after the 3:00 p.m. cut off time for all deliveries
Your shipping business cannot afford to lose customers to the larger shipping companies that have more advanced technology and the ability to assure customers have timely tracking information. In response, you have been asked by upper management to evaluate installing tracking/GPS devices on all trucks. These smart devices which are connected to the Internet via cell phone connections could provide valuable details about truck locations throughout the day.
Prepare a proposal for management sharing with them how these smart devices will provide needed information to improve customer service. Be sure to support your recommendations with credible resources. Using the assigned readings in this module is a good starting point. Research databases are listed in the Resources area below.
Prepare a proposal for management which will discuss the general capabilities of GPS tracking sensors. Also, examine the ability to provide more information, describe the reaction of employees, and define any privacy and security concerns regarding using GPS tracking sensors. Your company’s leadership may not be familiar with this technology, so be thorough in your description of the technology.
In Microsoft Word, create the proposal. Use the link below to access the Rasmussen Business Writing Guides. The proposal should be 3-4 pages and should accomplish these objectives:
- Compare the pros and cons of using the tracking devices in the shipping business as a function of competitive advantage
- Examine how knowledge of each truck’s location and delivery times will change the shipping business
- Explain how this tracking/GPS system will affect this business’s ability to compete with similar companies
- Describe how truck drivers might react to having tracking/GPS devices on the organization’s trucks
- Define any privacy/security concerns in using tracking/GPS devices on the trucks
- Be sure the proposal:
- Begins with an introduction that prepares the readers for the rest of the report
- Addresses all points above in a correctly formatted body section
- Ends with a conclusion that reminds busy readers of the document’s purpose and main supports
- Has a References page that cites all sources in APA format
NOTE – Be sure the document displays proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.